Sunday, September 23, 2007

Caroline's help with Colour Palettes

Hi all,

here are the colours that were generated by the URL that Caroline recommended (see the comment after the last post). Sadly no lilac, but good never the less. It is really worth a look at and a play with! I particularly like the fact that it give you a choice as to "dull" or "vibrant". This should suit all preferences.

Color Palette Generator

Enter the URL of an image to get a color palette that matches the image. This is useful for coming up with a website color palette that matches a key image a client wants to work with.

URL of image:

It's funny that the closest to the lilac is in the "dull" palette!

I also tried the "colour hunter"
This gave similar colours, both are worth trying. Thanks Caroline.

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Computer Design Again! 2

Well, I've managed to paste a layer of my chosen weave over the simulated painted warp! I am so excited about this and am going to try it with my New York Skyline exercise.

I had to play around with different tools to Linda's, as she used Photo Filter and I used Photoplus, but I got there in the end. It really has got endless possibilities which are really quite exciting.

Having looked at the design on this post, I think I need to lighten the weft, it's nice, but not quite the right colour.

Many thanks to Linda for showing me the idea.

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Computer Design Again!

At the beginning of August Linda, from the Online Guild, posted an interesting post about transfering a weave to a stripe sequence design.

It has taken me quite a while to read through the details and work out how to do it, but I have managed the first part, which is creating the stripes using my Photoplus programme.

This is the picture I was given by a student in my class, which I have used as a starting point. We are using it in class to do some Creative Spinning.

Using the colour pick tool, I selected some of the colours and then using the paintbrush tool I painted the colours onto a new page.

What a surprise when I found the lilac colour in the reflected sky at the bottom of the picture!

I followed Linda's instructions on making a new page, 800 x 2400 pixels to represent the size of a scarf. In this I made rectangles which I filled with some of the chosen colours.

This is quite a pleasing task to do. What would be good is to use one of the programmes effects to put texture into the dark green areas and the pale blue areas. I will try that next.

I then repeated the exercise, but this time I made the stripes vertical. Again I would like to make the green and pale blue into texture by using one of the effects.

Finally I repeated this exercise and added a gradient fill.

All I have to do now is to add a layer to this with the weave on it. I have almost got there, but my weave pattern is to pale to be seen clearly enough.

However, I really like this gradient design and could see it in a lovely silk scarf, dip dyed or painted in sections to get the gradients.

I also want to try this exercise with the New York Skyline exercise. I have almost finished weaving the 10 metre length in wool. I have just to order more of the "Rusticana" colour, marled brown, and weave the last 2 metres!

Sunday, September 02, 2007

Tapestry in Bulgaria

Here is the next instalment of my retreat in Bulgaria.

As I have said, the retreat is owned by Silvia, a tapestry weaver and acrylic artist from Pazardzhik in Bulgaria.

On the left is one of Silvia's lovely tapestries. She uses only natural yarns in her work which has a very distinctive folk art feel.

Having spent several lunchtimes and evenings spinning my tapestry weft and weaving the tapestry, I eventually finished it on the afternoon before we left. On the right you will see it finished, but still on the loom.

This close up shows the unwoven warp. I wanted to keep the yellow of the sky quite soft, as it was in the design. So rather than spin more weft, I felt the unwoven warp would look much better.

Unfortunately, I'm not so sure about the white in the free areas! I can't quite decide whether to unpick the white, which was finger crocheted with the colours, or leave it as it is!

I have now just got to sew in the end that will work to the front, the warp ends at the bottom and secure the warp ends at the top, so as to keep the free warp straight and even.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...